Sunday 4 September 2016

September Challenge - Years 3 & 4

Number Detective

You need to be a detective to uncover the value of my secret number.  Follow the clues below.  You must use the clues in the order given.

a) What is my number?
b) What is the least number of clues you need to use to be absolutely certain of the value of my number?

The clues:
1. I am a three digit number.
2. I am an odd number.
3. I am divisible by 5.
4. Each of my digits is different.
5. My digits add up to 8.
6. The tens digit is smaller than the hundreds digit.
7. I am less than 300.
8. I have only one even digit.  

Solution:

Work through each clue one by one.
1. _ _ _
2. Must have 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9 in the units place.
3. Must end in 5 or 0, so _ _ 5.
4. The hundreds and tens place cannot be 5.
5. 5 + ? = 8 so the hundreds and tens digit must add to 3, so the number could be 215,125 or 305.
6. It could be 215 or 305.
7. It can only be 215.

Seven clues are needed.